People have been swimming since the beginning of time. Whether it’s for exercise, cleanliness, competition, or fun, swimming is an activity that everyone can join in on once they know how. Here are 15 fun facts about swimming that you probably didn’t know:
- An olympic sized pool can can hold from 700,000 to 850,000 gallons of water depending on the size.
- Florida is the only state with laws about who can teach swimming. By law, swimming instructors and lifeguards must be certified.
- The turbopump on the space shuttle’s main engine is strong enough drain an average-sized swimming pool in less than 25 seconds.
- Swimming helps to reduce stress.
- Swim fins were invented by Benjamin Franklin.
- The average person produces 25,000 quarts of saliva throughout their lifetime, which is enough to fill two swimming pools.
- Sixty-five percent of people in the US don’t know how to swim.
- Elephants use their trunks as natural snorkels and can swim as much as 20 miles a day.
- The bikini swimsuit was named after a US nuclear testing site in the South Pacific called Bikini Atoll.
- Niagara Falls has enough water to fill up all of the pools in the US in less than three days.
- The oldest concrete swimming pool was built in Texas in 1915.
- Swimming became an olympic event starting in 1896.
- Ancient Egyptian paintings and drawings depict people swimming back in 2500 BC.
- An hour of vigorous swimming can burn up to 650 calories.
- The first recorded swimming races were held in Japan in 36 BC.
Now that you’re an expert on swimming pool fun facts, it’s time to have some fun of your own! A jump into your Aqua Blue pool can be great for both your health and happiness. If it’s time for your pool to be renovated into your dream backyard oasis, give us a call. As your Melbourne pool builder, we love to create pool paradises that families can enjoy for years to come.